Covid-19 Safety Directives and Policies at St. Mary Orthodox Church
Last Updated: March 29, 2022
The complete set of directives is as follows:
Capacity and Registration:
- All are welcome to attend in person! There are no longer any capacity restrictions.
Arriving at the Church
- Please arrive on time for services. Though the doors are no longer being locked after a certain time, we encourage you to participate fully in the liturgical services and prayers offered at our parish.
- Mask wearing is now optional as of March 14, 2022.
- Of course, people are free to continue to mask up if they so choose.
Appropriate Social Distancing
- Attendees may sit anywhere.
- There will be no touching or kissing of icons. To appropriately venerate the gospel, cross or icon, please bow your head.
- We will refrain from shaking hands during the kiss of peace (please bow or acknowledge your fellow parishioner).
- Holy bread will still be distributed by an altar server wearing a plastic glove.
- For Communion and Dismissal, follow the instructions of the ushers.
- Communion will continue in accordance with the church’s tradition. Tilt your head back and open your mouth wide to allow Father Antony to pour the Body and Blood in; do not close your lips on the spoon. Do not wipe your mouth with the communion cloth after receiving communion.
- The Antidoron (holy bread) will be handed to you by Father Antony or the altar server.
- Father Antony will be wearing a face mask during the distribution of communion and during the dismissal for his protection and the protection of others.
- Communion will continue in accordance with the church’s tradition. You must allow Father Antony to pour the Body and Blood by opening your mouth wide and not closing your lips on the spoon.
Coffee Hour and Church School
- Coffee Hour and Sunday School have both resumed in the church hall.
- Those who graciously agree to host a coffee hour must follow our list of coffee hour procedures to ensure the health and safety of everyone.
We ask for your patience and that you respect these directives and strictly comply. These directives and restrictions are necessary to protect the health and safety of Father Antony, our altar services, chanters and those laity in attendance.
Read Past Letters from the COVID Committee
- November 22, 2021
- August 2, 2021
- July 12, 2021
- May 20, 2021
- May 11, 2021
- May 28, 2020
- March 17, 2020
For Those Not in Attendance
Our services will continue to be available by live stream. Visit our live stream page for the video player, Social media links, and additional information.
The spiritual conversation of confessions may be done either over the telephone with the absolution prayer being given in person with physical distancing or all in-person with physical distancing. The stole will not be placed on the penitent’s head.
In the event you have any questions and/or concerns, please call the church office or Mary Winstanley O’Connor at (781) 641-2967.